Do you find yourself finding new and different ways to approach situations? Are you willing to pitch your ideas and solutions? Do you like to create, develop and test new technologies and advanced product design?
Therma-Tru is seeking a Research and Design Engineer to join our new state of the art Innovation Center in Maumee, OH. In this position, you will design products that will drive our company’s growth as the most preferred door system manufacturer. You will lead advance development and testing that brings engineered solutions to realization. You will be challenged with complex engineering problems that requires critical thinking and advanced solutions that stretch your talents and expand your horizons. You’ll be a part of a team that values the work hard, play hard mentality.
Therma-Tru is the leading entry door brand most preferred by building professionals. Founded in 1962, Therma-Tru pioneered the fiberglass entry door industry, and today offers a complete portfolio of entry and patio door system solutions, including decorative glass doorlites, sidelites and transoms, and door components. The company also offers low maintenance Fypon® polyurethane and PVC products. Headquartered in Maumee, Ohio, Therma-Tru is part of Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc which includes Moen, MasterBrand, and Master Lock companies.
- Mechanical design and analysis for a broad range of prototype, pre-production and innovative new product introductions or product changes throughout the company.
- Design, develop, and implement new products to meet customer needs through the utilization of engineering principles based on the use of tools such as QFD’s, DOE’s, Tolerance Stack-ups, DFMEA’s and DVP&R’s.
- Rapid prototyping and reverse engineering to enable validated decision-making in a fast-paced environment.
- Perform structural and durability analyses of complex systems with the ability to process, interpret and use simulation and evaluation data for the design and development of product.
- Investigate, vendor, liaison, study and select critical components.
- Lead detailed technical discussions and design reviews with other technical and cross functional teams in the company.
- Liaison with suppliers, customers and manufacturing/development staff for the creation and development of new products.
- Prepare product / project reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Assure system and product quality by designing testing methods; testing finished- product and system capabilities; confirming fabrication, assembly, and installation processes.
- BS in an engineering discipline, preferably Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a new product development setting
- Experience working with statistics and Design of experiments
- Solving by hand problems through analytical structural solutions (FEA, DOE, QFD, Tolerance Stack-ups, DFMEA, DVP&R, JMP and Minitab)
- Demonstrated use and understanding of APQP type Phase/Gate New Product Development Process.
- Demonstrated ability to take a product design from concept through prototypes to full production in an accelerated time frame.
- High level of proficiency in 3-D Parametric Solid Modeling (Solid Edge preferred), Microsoft Project, and Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Experience using and designing for CNC machining, additive manufacturing, and metrology.
- 5-10% travel required